Monthly Digest September 2020
- Published at
- Updated at
- Reading time
I hope you all had a healthy and relaxed September. I spent half of September living in a cabin, surrounded only by the wind and the north sea, it was beautiful! If calm holidays are your thing, I can only recommend checking out Denmark.
Let me share my favorite content in September! Enjoy!
# I'm joining the live streamers club
As an occasional guest in Contentful's live streams, I learned that live streaming is a lot of fun!
So much fun that I started streaming myself (Tuesday 8pm CET / 11am PDST). In my first streams, I built a Twitch bot. Stream watchers can interact with the streaming video via chat. Sending a
!shave message shaves me,
!til shows some light bulbs,
!celebrate lets balloons appear; you get the idea. :)
Maybe you want to say "Hi" next time I'm online on Twitch!
# Google Analytics alternatives
I discovered that Netlify Analytics stores data only for 30 days. That makes it useless to me, and I was on the hunt for a new privacy-focused analytics service.
Florens Verschelde's post A quick look at privacy-focused analytics for small sites was very insightful! In the end, I decided to go with Umami, and I am quite happy with it. :)
# Three excellent articles to read
- My favourite Git commit by David Thompson
- Harassers are nice to me, and probably to you by Sarah Milstein
- ‘Success Addicts’ Choose Being Special Over Being Happy by Arthur Brooks
# Three useful projects to have a look at
- giuseppeg / screensaver – starts a screensaver after timeout milliseconds of inactivity on your site
- rubymorillo / pocket-tech-writing-list – A small but formidable list of technical writing resources for developers
- juliangruber / npm-diff – Diff two versions of a node module right in your terminal
# This month I learned
- How to preload responsive images with
- How to tell browsers that your site supports color-schemes
You can find more learnings (130 in total 😎) in my "Today I learned" section.
# This month's devsheets
selectorfunction in CSS
text-decorationproperties in CSS
You can find more #devsheets on Twitter.
# This month's snippets
This section is new. 🎉
I started collecting programming snippets that could be handy in the future. Are these useful to you, too?
- How to schedule JAMstack deploys with Netlify and GitHub
- How to unregister all installed service workers in Chrome
- How to create a diff of npm package releases on the command line
# A talk to watch
Every modern tech company has to have a public design system. People are proud of them. And yet, many people struggle with maintaining the systems they put out.
It's an excellent talk if you're planning to set up a pattern library or design system!
# A quote to think about
Unhappy is who depends on success to be happy.
Years ago, Former Formula 1 driver Alex Dias Ribeiro wrote the short blog post Is There Life After Success?. It draws a picture of what success looks like to different people, includes this month's quote, and most importantly, it made me think about my life and priorities for a while!
# A song that makes you stop coding
The battle of young lady Nandi Bushell and Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters made me pay more attention to good rock song's drums.
And seeing what Nandi's doing there on the drums, holy moly... Foo Fighters' Everlong is an intense song!
And lastly, If you want to keep track with the resources in this newsletter, check out my RSS feeds.
That's it! Stay safe and I'll talk to you in November! 🎉 👋